Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wow... what a celebration

I KNOW you all watched the hockey game this afternoon and I sure hope you all watched the closing ceremonies.

I was at the campus pub for the closing ceremonies and boy was it packed! It was like I was back in Vancouver with people all dressed up in red and white... flags everywhere.. beers in hand just so excited for the game. And what a game it was! Just when we thought we had it all wrapped up... and everyone in the pub started singing and cheering and getting all excited - except for me, who has learned that in sports it isn't over until that timer says 0:00!! The shock that went through the room as everyone realized what had just happened... the U.S had tied the game!
I think that was the first time that people seemed a little bit worried that Canada might not actually win the game. Everyone got a little quieter; conversations became oh no, what if we don't win! It will be so heartbreaking!
As the period started though, everyone got excited.. chanting "Go Canada Go!" and cheering every time we got the puck out of our end. "Luuuuuuuuuu!!!" was a common chant of the evening - you could tell who weren't followers of hockey when they would look around and wonder why we were booing our own goalie!
And then, almost out of no where, the winning goal! Scored by no one more fitting than Sid the Kid assisted by the captain. Just perfect! Everyone was yelling, clapping, cheering, singing Oh Canada, the black eyed peas! Everything! I felt like I was back in Vancouver for a minute!

I was at home to watch the closing ceremonies and although I have to criticize the French of the one speaker... yikes! The rest was AMAZING! (and funny!) - starting with the raising of the fourth pillar of the torch that didn't raise during the opening ceremonies and the lighting of the torch by Katrina Lemay Doan who didn't get to light it due to the malfunction! Gotta love Canadians when we can poke fun at ourselves! These jokes continued all night with the parading of maple leafs, lumber jacks and beavers, mounties and hockey players, and Michael Buble singing first in a mounty outfit and then on top of a mounty hat. Just hilarious!

The speeches that were done by William Shatner, Catherine O'Hara, and Michael J. Fox were quite hilarious - again poking fun at Canadians

Although the concerts started out alright with Neil Young and Nickleback (I know some of you won't agree)... it continued on a lesser note with some not-so-popular-anymore singers like Avril Lavigne and Hedley. But I must admit - it seemed the Japanese were LOVING it! And everyone knew the words so I guess that made it all fun right?

Of course CTV presented a montage of Olympic moments at the end, just to make me cry - and yes I did cry, I'm a sap!
It's hard though... in a way I fulfilled my dream but in another way it never came true! I wanted to be at the Olympics in Vancouver, and I was! But I wanted to be competing and now that chance is gone :(

It did make me want to just start skating again though!

Sochi 2014? lol

Thank you to everyone who helped me get to Vancouver and supporting me in my skating, in my schooling and in my dreams! It meant a lot to me! :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment