Friday, February 19, 2010

What a day...and night!

Wow.... well I tried to get on here and write last night but I fell asleep doing so hahaha. Yesterday was such a packed day!!

I had curling in the morning with my friend Julia - It was the round robin #4 and Canada was playing Sweden. Three other games were also going on including the USA vs. Denmark. Canada's game was over first... and we won of course! The atmosphere in there was crazy though - not what you would expect at a curling game!!! People were cheering, chanting, doing the wave! The place isn't very big, so although our seats were right at the back we were really close and could see everything!

After the Canada game was over I thought most people would leave but almost everyone stayed. By the end, it was only the USA vs. Denmark game left and of course there were a lot of people from the states there so they were cheering pretty loudly for them - which meant that all of a sudden all the Canadians - us included - were cheering for Denmark! We were yelling Go Denmark - chanting Denmark!, Denmark! .... it was insane! Never did I ever think that I would be cheering for Denmark! And throughout all the games - people would cheer if there was a good shot.... it would go silent if it was a big important shot... and as the curling stone moved down the ice, people would start to stand up and watch it go down - it almost created a wave effect.... just crazy! And so cool!

After the curling was over we headed back to Julia's to get some food - I finally didn't have to buy my food!!! (Although I got the most AMAZING crepe the other day... expensive but wow... nutella, banana and strawberries!).

After we ate, Julia walked me to the bus stop and I got on the bus that would take me downtown so I could get on another bus that would take me to the skating! Of course I had my sign with me (Chan's Turn for Victory!) - everyone loved my sign!

I got to the rink and got to my seat.... pretty close to the middle and not too far up. It was a good view! I had my sign sitting beside me and a woman came and asked if she could take a picture with me and my sign (this has been happening a lot lately - I am quite famous at that rink! Even the volunteers remember me from Tuesday!). Anyways.... this woman starts talking to me and tells me that she is friends with Patrick Chan's mom - plays tennis with her! So I tell her that I trained with Patrick for a few summers and she got all excited that I "know" him and she got her husband to take a video on his camera of us saying hi to patrick and good luck - and they were going to show it to him after!

After the first flight of men, I started to make my trek down to the lower bowl to get a better seat in hopes of my sign being seen on tv. I got moved around a few times because people came to sit there.... but then while I was walking around the woman found me again and had just been visiting Patrick's mom so she took me over there because there were some extra seats! Well it turns out that people showed up for the last 2 groups (I hate when people do that - they are so rich that they just buy close seats and then just show up for the last 2 groups of skaters - they don't even know anything about figure skating!). Anyways... I moved just a section over and started talking to a couple sitting there. They said that the people sitting where I was weren't going to come back and I could stay there.

They started asking me if I knew about the scoring and everything.... that's when I became the commentator for the 6 people sitting around me! They started asking me questions about everything and asking what I thought about each performance and if the people were judged fairly, etc. They loved me! hahaha

And then it was time for Plushenko to skate... and I had already ranted a bit to them about my thoughts of Plushenko... they laughed... and throughout his performance I was getting more and more frustrated because he was being so cocky. Well I told the people around me that if he won I wasn't going to watch figure skating ever again!

AND THEN EVAN LYSACEK WON!!!!! It was the greatest moment ever!!! Everyone was cheering and clapping - except the russians of course. There was a section of other russian athletes and coaches (I think - they were all wearing the uniforms and had official looking tags). They were pissssssed! And so was Plushenko!

They did a bit of an awards ceremony after... and I don't know if they showed it on TV but Plushenko went to shake the hand of the third place skater and then instead of walking around to get to the second place spot on the podium... he stepped over the first place spot on the podium - completely acting as if he should be there! In the video of it you can hear me getting so mad!

Anyways... that was amazing... and then I headed back downtown - met up with Julia and her friends at the Irish house! So fun in there! And they have tv's all set up showing the Olympics stuff from the day.

After that... we took a cab with one of Julia's friends to see her apartment... well her families apartment... aka the PENTHOUSE of the SHANGRI LA! aka the tallest place in Vancouver! The view was AMAAAAZIIINNNGG! I took video of it.... wow... just incredible. You can see part of the torch and you can see the Olympic rings... wow... amazing!

All this in one day - it explains why I passed out so fast last night! But wow.. amazing!

I can't believe it's already Friday!

Today we will be walking around - well I will be. It's Julia's mom's birthday so she is going to stay around the house and I'm going to go downtown and wander. I want to find a place to sit and have a drink and watch some of the Olympics!

I will let you know what happensss!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment