Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti

It's amazing how we can feel like we have had the worst day ever... or we are worried about what to wear, what to make for dinner, am I going to go to class today or not. We get mad if it's raining outside and we have to walk to class. We worry about what is essentially nothing, and we completely forget or just ignore the worse things in life, like the earthquake in Haiti.
I have caught myself turning off the television when coverage of the devastation, destruction, and horror that is Haiti comes on... when stories of the death toll are being reported... the smell is apparently so bad that you can barely walk for very long through the streets. Dead bodies are rotting and more people are dying, stuck under the rubble.

For those of you who are Christians, or any other religion that believes in a greater being that us, it is amazing to see the destruction that can be done. I don't know what exactly I believe in terms of why these disasters happen. Some people turn to (a) God, and some turn away. But nonetheless, through the destruction and death, it is amazing to hear the stories of survival, and the great help that pours in from all over the World.

I have decided that I want to donate money this week. I don't know if I will donate to World Vision, the Red Cross, or some other organization. I am going to look into all of them and pick which one I think is best. Although I know that any of them are better than doing nothing at all.

I hope that you will also decide to help. Every little bit helps. Even for those of us here in Canada who feel like we have no money... I was told last week that those people in Canada who are on Welfare, are still in the top 5% of the wealthiest people in the world. That means that 95% of the world is poorer than the least wealthy in Canada.

Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment