Wednesday, January 30, 2013

CDPR108 - Week 3 Foursquare and QR Codes

I have actually been using QR Codes for advertisements for a few months now. We support several skating competitions and in turn we are given advertising space in the competition programs. During these competitions we also have a small boutique set up most of the time. Therefore, we decided that the best thing for the advertisements would be to promote our website and our online store - therefore the QR Codes are perfect. With the QR Code, we are able to link people directly to our website.

QR Codes are very easy to set up and sometimes we change the codes to send people to our Facebook page, or our Twitter site, or to provide coupons and discounts.

Foursquare on the other hand is something that I never really focused on, and in fact I needed to read these articles to remember what Foursquare is! That being said, the biggest learning experience from this week was the use of Foursquare for coupons and deals. I had no idea that you could do that with Foursquare!

I do have friends that have obviously linked their Foursquare to their Facebook accounts and I have seen them "check-in" to places however, I did not know that by doing that they could receive coupons or discounts to these places. I always thought it was just another annoying app on Facebook that told people where you were and what you were doing!

I think Foursquare could be a valuable addition to your public relations campaign, however I'm still not convinced of its popularity. I don't think it has caught on enough - and with things like Facebook offers, I think those avenues are better and can reach more people than Foursquare.

1 comment:

  1. Good to read about a successful example of using QR codes . . . and the value of changing the content frequently.

    ReplyDelete